Electrical Mechanical Technician San Diego, California
Job Ref: 34799
Hourly Job Description Non-Exempt
Electrical Mechanical Technician
The Electrical Mechanical Technician is responsible for implementing the Factory’s Preventative and Corrective Maintenance programs. Conduct troubleshooting, repair, and modifications to all of the factory production, equipment and systems. Comply with scheduled maintenance activities on a priority basis to minimize equipment downtime and maximize efficiencies.
1. Installs, maintains, dissembles, refits, repairs and/or rebuilds electrical/mechanical equipment and/or machines, under supervision, to ensure production goals are met (may include automatic and process controls, HMI, relays, electronic controls, printers, scales, fuses, wiring defects, control modules, and alarm systems).
2. Conducts tests of installed/repaired equipment/machinery and makes final adjustments, under supervision, to ensure safe and proper operation.
3. Interprets work orders, concepts, and directs the operation, repair and preventive maintenance function for all assigned electrical and mechanical equipment.
4. Reads wiring diagrams, blue prints, and schematics and follows directions from manuals and applies PLC ladder logic in solving problems.
5. Carries out simple and complex instructions to diagnose hidden defects on assigned equipment and makes appropriate corrections under the pressure of production requirements.
6. Identifies all parts and supplies necessary to support assigned areas and shifts and ensures timely delivery of parts and supplies to meet production deadlines.
7. Notifies appropriate supervision of any electrical and/or mechanical issues that arise.
8. Learns new and existing equipment and systems.
1. Ensures daily, weekly, and monthly records systems to support preventive maintenance and work orders systems are properly updated and maintained.
1. Adheres to established safety guidelines, policies, and procedures while promoting a safe work environment.
1. Recommends measures to improve routine maintenance, production efficiencies, operational effectiveness, equipment performance.
2. Completes work orders in a timely manner meeting or exceeding pre-established deadlines to reduce downtime and meet production goals.
3. Works with Production Dept. to determine optimal time for any needed repairs on equipment and follows through to ensure repairs are made on schedule.
Internal Customer Service
1. Establishes positive relationships with all plant personnel.
2. Responds quickly to requests for assistance from production personnel.
3. Provides specific information regarding the nature and status of repairs and/or maintenance issues.
4. Provides timely follow up to production personnel regarding status or repairs and/or maintenance issues.
1. Interprets and takes ownership of GMPs and food safety company standards.
2. Must be able to provide recall information for raw material usage as well as disposals.
3. Coordinate with Quality Assurance on any product placed or released from hold status, raw materials as well as finished product.
4. Participate in the QRMP yearly audit and assist in the development of procedures and corrective actions.
5. Accountable for the QRMP (Quality Risk Management Process) system and operational standards as outlined in the plant accountability list in order to achieve targeted RCR.
1. Participates in the implementation of the factory’s playbook , especially in the pillar assigned to the department, to ensure successful completion of all checklist items/actions within the playbook.
The preceding functions have been provided as representative of the types of work performed by the employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify change or rescind the work assignments of this and different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL / EXPERIENCE LEVELS
The Electrical Mechanical Technician must possess knowledge of and understand the following:
• Rebuilding, repairing, and/or replacement of electrical equipment, parts, fuses, wiring, and machines, HMI, relays, electronic controls, printers, scales, and alarm systems.
• Process for conducting periodic preventative maintenance to include electrical and mechanical inspections, disassembly/reassembly of subsystems, proper lubrication, and testing.
• Work order procedures and concepts.
• Wiring diagrams, blue prints, schematics, and manuals.
• PLC ladder logic.
• Mig/Tig/Arc/Braze welding, and soldering.
• Parts and supplies to support assigned areas and shifts.
• Daily, weekly, and monthly records and work order systems.
• Policies and procedures for taking and logging parts from MRO.
• Policies and procedures for submitting and documenting parts requests.
• Policies and procedures for documenting equipment failure/repair analysis, work order information, and parts information on CMMS and appropriate forms.
• Plant’s safety guidelines, policies, procedures, etc.
• Environmental regulations, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), and Maintenance Food Safety Program.
• Continuous improvement processes.
The Electrical Mechanical Technician must possess the following skills:
• Ensure daily, weekly, and monthly records to support preventive maintenance and work orders systems are properly updated and maintained.
• Read wiring diagrams, blue prints, and schematics and follows directions from manuals and applies PLC ladder logic in solving problems.
• Join pieces of metal together by way of Mig/Tig/Arc/Braze welding, and soldering.
• Ensures all parts and supplies necessary to support assigned areas and shifts are properly requested and logged out on time to meet production deadlines.
• Complete all Work Orders within a timely manner meeting or exceeding pre-established deadlines to reduce downtime and meet production goals.
• Document equipment failure/repair analysis, work order information and parts information with company CMMS and company forms.
• Comply with environmental regulations, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), and Maintenance Food Safety Program while promoting a safe work environment.
• Recommend measures to improve routine maintenance, production efficiencies, operational effectiveness, equipment performance, and safety in all assigned areas and shifts.
• Troubleshoot malfunctioning electrical/mechanical/ hydraulic/pneumatic/gas fired production equipment in a stressful environment.
The Electrical Mechanical Technician must possess the following minimal education and experience:
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Certifications /Courses: Welding course or one year experience.
• One year experience troubleshooting and resolving maintenance problems and/or issues. • One year experience maintaining computer-aided production equipment/machines.
• Three years work experience in a bilingual food manufacturing operation preferred.
Immediate Supervisor (title): Production Maintenance Supervisor
Subordinates (titles): None
Other Job Titles Reporting to the Same Immediate Supervisor: Senior Electrical Mechanical Technicians, Electrical Mechanical Foreman, MRO Clerk, MRO Coordinator
FOR UPDATED JOB DESCRIPTIONS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION/SUPERVISOR COMMENTS
The Electrical Mechanical Technician displays the following winning work attributes:
• Treats others with dignity and respect.
• Demonstrates flexibility and openness to change.
• Actively cooperates and encourages cooperation from others.
• Maintains a calm and controlled demeanor, especially in stressful situations.
• Responds resourcefully to change and ambiguity.
• Demonstrates commitment to self improvement.
• Complies with laws and the company’s ethical principles.
• Focuses time and energy on established priorities.
• Makes decisions under conditions of uncertainty.
• Takes action and reliably delivers on commitments.
• Allocates time efficiently to meet production goals.
• Effectively balances multiple demands and competing priorities.
• Builds quality into every dimension of work.
• Is accessible and supportive of others.
• Demonstrates awareness of customer needs.
• Strives to achieve quality standards in all work. • Applies best practices as he/she learns them.
• Is on time at the beginning of work and adheres to breaks and lunch schedules.
• Is thoroughly prepared at the beginning of work.
• Is productive throughout the entire work day or shift.
• Strives to improve his/her job knowledge and job skills.
• Helps others, when help is needed.
• Is a positive team member who supports the company and its initiatives.
• Actively participates in meetings.
• Maintains a positive attitude and builds positive relationships throughout the plant.
• Establishes and maintains positive relationships with vendors and others providing service to the plant.
• Is accurate and attentive to detail.
• Requires minimal supervision.
• Able to multi-task as needed.
• Good communicator.
Incumbents may stand and walk for prolonged periods over the course of 7.5 hours. May be required to repetitive lift and carry heavy equipment, tools, machinery, etc. in excess of 50 pounds. Routinely work with arms extended in front of the body, usually more than 15” for sustained periods of time. Use considerable force to push/pull heavy carts. Reach, grasp, and perform fine finger manipulation activities (i.e., adjust, calibrate, and operate equipment); Climb ladder and work on elevated platform; routinely bend and twist neck; routinely bend at knees and waist repetitively; requires good vision.
The Electrical Mechanical Technician works with and near hazardous equipment/ machinery (mixers, hoppers, conveyor belts, ovens, fryers, etc.) in a large, open fast-paced food processing plant. Lighting is fluorescent and the floors are concrete with anti fatigue mats. All employees wear protective gear and floors are sanitized. The working areas contain elevated noise levels which require hearing protection. Temperatures vary – can be very hot due to heat from ovens or can be very cold from freezers. It can be humid at times and floors are often wet due to slippery surfaces. Work environment contains moving mechanical parts and vibration and it may be in an elevated working area (mezzanine). Incumbent work near or with hazardous equipment/machinery and may be exposed to gas, dust, and/or fumes.
I have been provided with a copy of the above job description and my signature below indicates my acknowledgment and acceptance of the full scope of responsibilities assigned to this position.
The examples of functions listed in this job description are representative but are not exhaustive or descriptive of all the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position. Management is not precluded from assigning other related functions not listed herein if such functions are necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to provide individuals with a qualified disability a reasonable opportunity to perform the essential functions of a job, on a case-by-case basis.